The Future of Video Editing is Changing Rapidly
As video becomes the next sought after thing and it is the hot job market thus creating a lot of unrestricted competition. Companies hire workers from far east who is ready to work for fraction of the cost with stock images and several apps who can put flashy montages in no time. New technology is sold as time saving , efficient software’s that can replace the human skilled workers that will cut down costs for the company. The future for freelance video editors does look bleak and hard.
Some things have changed in the video editing industry and what can we do as editors to make sure that we still have work as freelancers:
- Video content has skyrocketed but budgets have not necessarily. Video Editors need to learn new technologies and this should happen every year. Keep abreast of new technology.
- Tools have become better but that does not put a dent on your story telling capabilities. Use and learn the tool to tell better stories.
- Video making needs to change as out world around us is changing. We don’t need huge budgets and complicated setups. Quick content video set ups should be easy and simple and so should be the edit. Make story your focus and the flashy cuts and transitions will follow. They should not take away from the story
- Scale your learning to accept different formats and methods of workflow and newer distribution channels like mobile friendly and you tube ready.
- Keep good relationships with your clients and join networking groups on meet up.
The last two decades has changed fast with the onset of I phone and Digital technologies. It is important that we accept the change, adopt early and learn from it. Become Creative engineers versus tool pushers.